Singapore is pretty much always in summer conditions, and everyone just wants to keep the air condition on and have a nice cold beverage and rest in the cooling weather artificially created. But of course coming with it higher monthly bills.
So how to stay cool without using so much of the air conditioner you might ask.
Self-Care in the hot weather
First things first: in warmer weather, it’s important to take care of your family and your own body, especially if temperatures reach dangerous extremes.
- Avoid strenuous outdoor work.
- If you do have to work outside, take plenty of breaks and make sure someone is there with you.
- Listen to your body, and learn to take rests every now and then if needed.
- Wear light clothing in light colors, as this reflects the sun’s rays.
- Always drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Check on elderly neighbors and family members or anyone without AC.
- Never leave a child or pet in a hot car.
Giving Your Air Conditioner a Break
There are times when you can and should give your air conditioner a break.
- At night, you can often turn off the Air Conditioner and open up some windows.
- In the daytime, close the shades and blinds to keep out the sun.
- Don’t use appliances that heat the house during the day, like your oven or dryer.
- Use fans to help distribute cool air throughout the home.
Turning Up the Temperature
This is a piece of advice many homeowners are hesitant to take. We’re here to tell you that turning down the temperature as low as it will go doesn’t actually cool you off faster. It only wastes energy keeping you cooler than you need to be.
More Air Conditioner Efficiency Tips
A good tip for using your air conditioner less is to keep it in the best shape possible. That way, it can run smoothly and won’t need to use any more energy than it should have to. That means you should do your best to…
- Schedule air conditioning maintenance once a year.
- Change the filter once a month to regulate airflow.
- Call a technician for repairs as soon as your notice a problem with the system.
Arctic Aire Engineering is Singapore’s leading brand of air con servicing, contact us now!